Situated in the Ambelokipi district in the centre of Athens and surrounded by eight-storey apartment blocks, the 1937 two-storey house with basement had been blessed with a secluded private garden at the back of the plot.
Externally the renovation respected the characteristics of the mid-war and modern movement architecture evident on the façades of the house. The interventions were minimal except for the choice of colour. The blue-grey colour, chosen in place of the original white, deliberately makes the house the focal point in an otherwise indifferent neighbourhood.
Internally the major interventions involved the unification of the living and dining areas, and the complete renovation of the bathrooms and kitchen. The centre piece of the house is the imposing period staircase with its elaboratively carved balustrade. The choice of materials, and in particular the mosaic tiles and lacquered shelves for the kitchen and the concrete floor tiles for the bathrooms, reflect the history of the house.
The garden has been enhanced with both evergreen and deciduous trees and plants, landscaped in keeping with the character of the house.
Project completed 2011
Architects Sgoutas Architects
MEP Consultants Technognomon Ltd.
Photographs by A.Petrakis